There’s Life in a Look
“BEHOLDING THE MAN OF CALVARY”
Numbers 17 (a bronze serpent)
4 Then they set out from Mount Hor by the way of the [f]Red Sea, to go around the land of Edom; and the [g]people became impatient because of the journey. 5 The people spoke against God and Moses, “Why have you brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? For there is no[h]food and no water, and [i]we loathe this miserable food.”
The Bronze Serpent
- 6 The Lord sent fiery serpents among the people and they bit the people, so that many people of Israel died.
- 7 So the people came to Moses and said, “We have sinned, because we have spoken against the Lord and you; intercede with the Lord, that He may remove the serpents from us.” And Moses interceded for the people.
- 8 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Make a fiery serpent, and set it on a standard; and it shall come about, that everyone who is bitten, when he looks at it, he will live.”
- 9 And Moses made a bronze serpent and set it on the standard; and it came about, that if a serpent bit any man, when he looked to the bronze serpent, he lived.
John 3 (The Man of Calvary)
- 13 No one has ascended into heaven, but He who descended from heaven: the Son of Man.
- 14 As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up;
- 15 so that whoever believes will in Him have eternal life.
- 16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.