The Believer’s Conduct & Attitude, Lesson 5
Key Text: “So you shall observe My statutes and keep My judgments, and perform them; and you will dwell in the land in safety.” (Leviticus 25:18, NKJV)
Heart Questions: What is Obedience? What does the Bible say about obedience? Why is obedience to God important? What is the reward of obedience?
The word obedience is defined as “compliance with an order, request, or law or submission to another’s authority.” From a biblical standpoint, obedience is willingness to submit oneself to the will of God and to put it into practice. First of all, obedience is commanded/ demanded of God’s people (Lev 25:18; 1 Sam 15:22 ; Dt 13:4; 26:16; 32:46). True obedience includes –Obeying God’s voice (Ex 19:5; Jer. 7:23); Obeying His Law (Deut. 11:27; Isa 42:24); Obeying Christ (Ex 23:21; 2 Cor 10:5); Obeying the Gospel (Rom. 1:5; 6:17; 10:16, 17); and Keeping His Commandments (Eccl. 12:13).
Obedience to the will of God demonstrates the reality of a person’s faith in Jesus Christ – (Mt 7:21; Rom 1:5; Jas 2:14-20). True Obedience should be — from the heart (Deut. 11:13; Rom. 6:17); With willingness (Ps 18:44; Isa 1:19); Unreserved (Josh. 22:2-3); Undeviating (Deut. 28:14); and Constant (Php 2:12).
Here are a few examples of Obedience in the Old Testament – (read Gen 6:22; 12:1-4; 22:2-3; Ex 40:16; Josh. 11:15; Jonah 3:3). In fact, there are specific individuals who are said to have obeyed God: Abel (Gen 4:1-5); Enoch, the great-great-great-great-grandson of Adam (Gen 5:22–24); Noah (Gen 6:9); Abraham (Gen 12:1-4; 17:23; 22:3,12; Heb. 11:8); Israelites (Ex 12:28; 24:7); Caleb (Num. 32:120); Joshua (Josh. 24:14-15); Asa (1 Ki 15:11); Elijah (1 Ki 17:5); Hezekiah (2 Ki 18:6); Josiah (2 Ki 22:2); David (Ps 119:30, 100-106); Zerubbabel (Hag 1:12); Joseph (Mt 1:24); Wise men (Mt 2:12); Zacharias (Lk 1:6); The Apostles (Acts 4:19-20; 5:29); The Apostle Paul (Acts 26:19; Php 3:7-14); Saints of Rome (Rom 16:19: The 144,000 (Rev. 14:1-5).
The Bible often tells us that God blesses and rewards those who obey Him. Listen to the following promises: –
- “Now therefore, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be a special treasure to Me above all people; for all the earth is Mine.” (Exodus 19:5, NKJV)
- “If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.” (John 15:10, NKJV)
- “Oh, that they had such a heart in them that they would fear Me and always keep all My commandments, that it might be well with them and with their children forever!” (Deuteronomy 5:29, NKJV)
- “So if you walk in My ways, to keep My statutes and My commandments, as your father David walked, then I will lengthen your days.” (1 Kings 3:14, NKJV)
- “Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock.” (Matthew 7:24–25, NKJV)
- “Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.” (John 14:23, NKJV)
- “And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.” (1 John 2:17, NKJV)
Devotional Implication: Why is obedience to God important? If we truly call ourselves children of God, then obedience is inevitable. Obedience is what is expected of a son’s relationship to his father (Prov. 4:1–2), and consequently, our Heavenly Father (Jer. 3:13, 25). Obedience to God proves our love for Him (1 Jn. 5:2-3), demonstrates our faithfulness to Him (1 Jn. 2:3-6), glorifies Him in the world (1 Pet. 2:12), and opens avenues of blessing for us (Jn. 13:17).
We ought to obey His commands, not because we have to, but because we want to — because we love Him! When we obey the LORD, we can have peace of mind (no matter the circumstance around us); We can stand tall and live a life of joy, contentment, and of full assurance that everything will be under control by the Divine Watcher. Beloved, when we obey our Heavenly Father, He is glorified (Mat. 5:16).
Action Step: What response do you think this lesson should inspires us to do? OBEY GOD! “Blessed are all who fear the LORD, who walk in obedience to Him” (Psa. 128:1).
The Gospel’s Voice: What does the LORD say to me today? My son, obedience is better than sacrifice (1 Sam 15:22). Please, obey My voice, “so it shall be well with you, and your soul shall live.” (Jer. 38:20). If you haven’t been living according to My Word, if you haven’t been following My commandments, if you’ve been living in and for the world, it’s not too late, you can still come to Me, and be transformed by the blood of Jesus Christ. If you sincerely seek My forgiveness, I will grant it (1 Jn. 1:9). The promise is sure, for it is written, “I will put My Laws in your heart, and I will write them on your mind… Your sins and lawless acts I will remember no more” (Heb. 10:16-17). Would you come to Me and begin the process of obeying Me today?
Exhortation- 1: “Now therefore, amend your ways and your doings, and obey the voice of the Lord your God; then the Lord will relent concerning the doom that He has pronounced against you.” (Jeremiah 26:13, NKJV)
Exhortation- 2: “Oh, that they had such a heart in them that they would fear Me and always keep all My commandments, that it might be well with them and with their children forever!” (Deuteronomy 5:29, NKJV)
50 Devotional Thoughts on the Believer’s Conduct & Attitude/ Thought # 5: Obeying God/ 200C-05 (Mt 7:24-25).